Thursday, September 29, 2011

Long (overdue) tour of my school!

I am a teacher at Yangjung Elementary school, which is fortunately just a 5 minute walk from my apartment.  It was built in the 70's but has a brand new gym, cafeteria and "English Zone" where I teach!  Really those are the only 3 areas of the school I have any interest in, so I am set! 

I have several pictures and videos of my school, classroom, co-teachers and students.  As most posts, I could show a hundred pictures and tell dozens of stories, but I will keep this post as concise as possible (and it will still be very long!) 

Also the chronology of these photos are pretty cool because I took them as I got to school one day, so you can actually see what I see every morning.


Here is a panorama of a portion of the school building and the playground.  To the far left is the old school building, and connected to it is the new gym and cafeteria (starting with the yellow).  There are bleachers and a large cinder field with soccer goals, and playground equipment on the far side (out of sight here).


On the right is the bleachers from the last picture, and more of the old school building.  (behind the school are tall apartment buildings, which are EVERYWHERE due to the large population and small flat land area)


The school wraps around a courtyard that has a little pond, lots of shrubbery, and several animals.  The animals are BY FAR my favorite part of the courtyard.  Here.. is a giraffe!



Right across from the giraffe, is the main school entrance, which is near the principle's office, administrative office, and the teachers room.


Everyone must take their shoes off when they enter the school and put on their 'slippers.'  I personally call them 'sandals,' but either way this is my little slipper box.


This is a hallway that is on the back end of the school (like the bottom of the 'U' that the school makes).  The library is on this hallway, but I never go in there.. can't read their books very well, haha.


At the end of the hallway I take a right and head towards the "English Zone" where I spend most of my time.  This is a picture of the court yard from the second floor.  I do teach five 6th grade classes across the way, all the way to the left on the 3rd floor with Eunji (co-teacher).  Those five classes are in the minority since I teach a total of 20 classes.


Here is the English Zone which is brand new!  There are two classrooms here, the first on the left is my main classroom with Jack (AKA Mr. Park).  The second is where I teach with Mr. Chung.  At the end of the hallway is the entrance to the gymnasium.  [that's Eunji down the hall talking on the phone lol]


Entrance to my main classroom.


My desk, and Jack at his desk on the left.  This is where I teach 3rd grade (twice a week) and 5th grade (once a week like most of my classes).


At the beginning of this video you can hear the little chime that plays at the beginning and end of every class session.  The classes are 40 minutes long and there are 10 minutes in between classes.  As you can see some of my students are very shy, and some LOVE attention!


 Students!!




Mr. Chung in the second classroom.  I teach 4th grade with him here.  That is a very nice screen for the computer but it is not a touch screen like in Jack's room.



Panorama shot of the cafeteria lunch line.  To the right is where the students and the teachers get their trays, spoons and chopsticks.  The students go through the line to get served.  The teachers walk over to that station on the left and serve themselves.. so basically we get to cut! :D


Mr. Park, another teacher (name escapes me right now) and myself eating lunch.



My school lunch which consists (clockwise) of soup, baked fish, a sort of salad, kimchi and rice.  I honestly really enjoy the school lunches.  Some are better than others (this one was 'ok').  I can also honestly say that some foreigners would NOT like the school lunches too much, but I'm easy to please!


No comments:

Post a Comment