Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Me cooking (or trying to cook) Korean!

I definitely like to cook, so I have been looking forward to cooking Korean style.  I have been making progress over the last couple of weeks, with each attempt I make.  It's not that there are difficult techniques involved in the basic Korean dish, it's understanding that there is one main dish, and a number of side dishes in each meal.  My first attempt was essentially a stir-fry..fail.



(Of course a rice cooker is necessary!)

My main problem was a lack of supplies, but once I bought the hot pepper paste, the kim-chi, the appropriate produce, I had a better chance at succeeding.

 Here is a much better attempt at a Korean meal, which has kimchi, raw pepper and garlic on the first plate, sauteed mushrooms, onions and high quality beef on the second, and rice in the bowl to the far right.  I also have red pepper paste and tea nearby :)





There is also a common food called 'kim-bop.' It looks like sushi as we know it in the states, but it's more comparable to a 'California Roll,' without the raw fish. I enjoy sushi, but it is a Japanese dish and... well I'll have to post about Korean-Japanese relations soon.. Anyways kim-bop is delicious, and I had a pretty good run at that this past week :D



Here is a seaweed wrap, and then clockwise from above it: hot pepper tuna, kimchi, hot red peppers, mushrooms and (hard to see) garlic.


Kim-bop has to have the seaweed wrap and rice.  The rest is up to you!


This morning I decided to make a bomblet (a bomb omelet) Korean style.  I sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic and that high grade beef (I basically call it steak, I paid WAY too much for it, but it is delicious!).  I put that in my egg fold, along with kimchi, cheddar cheese and tomatoes. 


Beautiful.


And of course topped it with some mozzarella cheese.  It was amazing!


I still have a long way to go since I have never cooked fish or Octopus, but at least I'm not stuck making grilled cheese/tuna melts and PB&J's like I was for a short while!

No comments:

Post a Comment