Friday, September 2, 2011

So as usual I'm behind on updates, but It's because I'm having such a blast!

So my last post covered my first week in Korea at orientation, and this post (and the next couple) will try to cover my first week in Ulsan!  I arrived last Friday (August 26th) at the MOE (similar to our Board of Education) headquarters in Ulsan, and there was a mix-up.  When my co-teacher got there he was talking a lot with the MOE superintendent looking confused, and I guess somewhere along the line my name was written as Ry an (ReAnn to Koreans).  So the next stop along the line my gender was changed to 'female.'  So everyone at my new school (except the students luckily) were expecting a woman English teacher!  Now this is especially unfortunate due to my long hair haha.  It wasn't a big deal, and I didn't get the jokes that I was sure would follow, but a bit of excitement to start off in my new city!


That night I had to sleep in a motel because the last EPIK English teacher wasn't leaving until the next day. This wasn't bad at all though because I was able to have dinner with her (Lizzy from the UK) and my co-teacher (Mr. Park). This was awesome because I got all of the insider information about the school I am teaching at, and some great tips for a brand new foreigner in the city!

The elevator in my motel, it was pretty cool!!


The hallway of my hotel.  Before the flash from my camera it was actually really dark and had those red lights all the way down it.. the first time walking down that hallway alone was pretty scary! haha


Outside my motel.  (The Amal Motel)



Mr. Park (or Jack as he told me to call him) and his two sons, Chan-Yuk and Chan-Ee.  They are so cool!


This is the boys, Jack, Lizzy and myself at Jack's parents house for dinner.


And this is with Jack's wife!  (She was very nice and speaks pretty good English as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment