Friday, September 2, 2011

Exploring Ulsan, day and night!

My second day in Ulsan was very eventful with Jack and his family.  He picked me up and we went to an ancient village which was about a 45 minute drive from my motel.  We had lunch there and then walked around this village.  Then we met up with some good friends of his, Mr. & Mrs. Kim who are music teachers at another school.  They are also world travelers and speak pretty good English as well!  We saw an ancient temple and then walked around sight seeing a bit.  We decided that it would be a great idea to visit the next day (Sunday) and play some music together! 

So on Sunday Mr. Kim picked me up around 2 in the afternoon, we bought some snacks at a couple different places and then got to his house.  I played a couple songs for them on guitar and then tried out some traditional Korean instruments!  I (attempted to) play a bamboo flute, which was very difficult since I've never played a wind instrument (except a harmonica), but it was fun.  I started to get it to make noise at the end of my attempts, and now I feel like I need to buy one and master it!  I also played a janggu (Korean drum), which I had played at orientation.  The last one I played was gayageum (traditional Korean string instrument), and that was awesome as well!  (Unfortunately no pictures of that event)






Mrs. Park, Chan-Ee and myself at the historical sight.  We were at Gyeongju, and there are a couple of websites from the pamphlet if you are interested in learning more about this place: http://guide.gyeongju.go.kr & http://yangdong.invil.org


A beautiful Lotus flower.



This tree is over 500 years old!


Chan-Yuk sleeping on mommy.


Before trying rice candy.


After trying rice candy.




Probably the cutest kids in the world!



Chan-Yuk and I trying to escape!


The woman to the far right is Mrs. Kim.


A very nice dinner that I was treated to!


Mr. Kim and I!


Mr. Park, myself and Mr. Kim at dinner.



Since I was spending all this awesome time with my co-teacher and his friends I missed out on some opportunities to hang out with my new friends who were new to the city as well. So Monday after my first day of school was over I met with 10 of my new friends for dinner. I took a taxi and we went to a Korean BBQ which was really good! It was really nice to spend some time with my friends from orientation again, and we went out to a Nore Bang (Like Karaoke, but you have a private room) for a couple hours. It was a blast!


At the Korean BBQ.


My terrible photography skills capturing parts of my friends!


At the Nore Bang! (pronounced "nor A Bong")



It was rowdy!

No comments:

Post a Comment