Sunday, September 11, 2011

Volleyball and Dinner with Faculty

Every Wednesday the faculty plays volleyball after school, then goes out for dinner (and drinks). This past Wednesday was the first time I have participated in the festivities, and it was really fun! It does turn out though that I was under the impression that I was pretty good at volleyball from high school PE and intramural teams in college.. WRONG. These teachers are SO serious about their volleyball, and whether I could hit the ball over the net or not, apparently my form is laughable, haha. I have some practicing to do, but it was still fun (the principle rooted me on at least!) 

After the volleyball game we all went out to dinner, and I was a little worried.  I knew that the principle 'loves to drink,' and I was warned at lunch that they were going to 'test' me that night.  They wanted to see how many bottles of Soju (similar to our vodka) I could drink.  They were bragging like: Jack can only drink 1 bottle, Chung can drink 2, maybe you can drink 5 haha.  Needless to say I was worried, but it wasn't bad at all.  They backed up their volleyball talk, but now their drinking talk, thank goodness!  I did not want to be a mess around my new co-workers and administrators, in fact I don't ever want to be that much of a mess (5 bottles??)

We had a nice dinner, had just a couple drinks, then went to a pool hall for 'round 2.'  Eunji and I played a few games of western style pool while everyone else played the Korean 4 ball pool.  I have not yet tried the Korean version, but it seems interesting.  We were there for nearly 2 hours and I was exhausted by the time we left.  I didn't want to be rude though so I went along for 'round 3' to a nearby restaurant.  We had some snacks and a couple more drinks, but left after about 30 minutes.  Me and Eunji shared a cab home (since we live in the same building) , and I was relieved to make it home in one piece!


On the far left is a teacher at our school that is very good at volleyball, but I'm not sure his name (often when I meet people they do not tell me their name.. but it would be hard to remember a lot of Korean names even if I was told them).  Shooting pool is our principle.  In the plaid shirt is Mr. Chung, who is one of my English co-teachers.  In the white shirt on the right is the vice-principle who is very nice and speaks pretty good English.


There's Eunji again!


In the orange is the volleyball coach.  He may be the only person in my school that I don't get along with, haha.  He is passively offensive often, but everyone else is nice!


Sort of blocking my peer colleague.


This guy is really nice.  Again, wish I knew names!

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, email me. I don't know what your email is? andddd.....I'm following your blog (ish) but it's too hard to communicate this way? andddd...i miss you a lot. my email is ashley.mielcarek@gmail.com email me MEOW okay?

    ReplyDelete