Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lost in Ulsan!

I have to report about the first (and assuredly not last) time I was lost in Korea.  [This was about 1 week ago]  I planned on visiting a music shop to get some guitar stuff.  My co-teacher Jack is lending me his guitar until I get paid at the end of the month, and buy my own.  He hasn't played in a long time so his guitar needed new strings, and I needed other miscellaneous things like pics and a strap.  I learned that there was a music shop nearby in Seonamdong, or 'Old Downtown.'  I had to take the bus for the first time and was excited to explore, but had very limited directions to this music shop.  I did have a map that my co-teacher Jack printed off for me, but everything was in Korean, and all I knew is that the store was a block or two south of a school. 

When I was on the bus, I asked a high school student in Korean (using my handy dandy phrase book) how to get to Seonamdong.  I figured out that that is where he was getting off the bus, so at least I knew what stop to get off at.  When we got off I asked him if he knew where this music shop was and he had no idea.  I decided to just wander and see if I could find it, which worked out because I needed to buy some things at other stores anyways (like a belt, and slippers for my school).  I was about to walk in the complete wrong direction, when I spotted the WaBar, a Western style bar (that is a chain bar in Ulsan) that I had just read about at http://www.ulsanonline.com/ so I stopped in.  I figured they might be able to help me find my music shop.  It took a while, but with the help of 3 employees and a bit of confusion I ended up with a make-shift map of how to get there (pictured below). 




Old Downtown is very cool, it's got this huge outdoor mall type deal.


Picture I took at WaBar.


Picture of the map they drew for me!


I finally found my shop and... it was closed!  Of course, so at least I knew where it was and ended up going with a buddy a couple days later.  It was about 9:30 PM so I walked around to a couple more stores and then headed to a bus stop.  While I was there a high school kid came up to me and started speaking to me in English!  Apparently he had studied English as a foreign exchange student in Chicago for a year, and is planning on going to college there.  We chatted for a bit, then I got on the wrong bus.. NOW FOR THE LOST PART, haha.

Music shop that was closed.




Picture of the street the music shop was on so I could find it when it was actually open.



I get on the 104 bus, that had taken me to old downtown, but apparently I took it going the wrong way.  As time went on I noticed that I was the only passenger on the bus, and I was like "uh-oh."  Believe it or not this is not the first time I have managed to find myself at the end of the line of a bus route, being told to get off (happened once on Lake-tran back home).  At this point I am extremely exhausted; I had been at my school, gone hiking, been exploring/shopping, and now I'm just trying to get home and it wasn't happening.  I figured I would take a cab, but I was not in the main part of the city anymore (at a bus station) and I didn't have a cell phone.  The bus driver wrote 2 bus line numbers on the paper I showed him with my address, but I was still stranded.  Finally a bus driver tried to talk to me, failing miserably, and then had me get on his bus (free pity ride).  I sat on his bus for about 15 minutes while he watched a portable television.  I had NO IDEA what was going on, but after a bit he took off.  We were back in the city, but I didn't have a clue if we were going to be heading back to my area, or when I should get off, so I just thanked the driver, told him "tehk-see" and got off.  Got a cab, and made it home (for 10 bucks instead of 1).  It was crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Muqse

    ReplyDelete