Saturday, September 10, 2011

"Somewhere"

I love to play guitar and sing, and I had heard that there was a bar that hosts an 'open mic' every week somewhere in Ulsan.  I performed at an open mic this past summer, so I really wanted to find this place.  I completely stumbled upon it the Friday night after the Daegu track and field championships.  A co-teacher and friend of mine, Eunji went out to meet some of my friends at a foreigner bar called Bench Warmers.  Every big city in Korea has some foreigner bars, which makes it a lot easier to have a social life here.  We had trouble finding Bench Warmers, and spotted a couple on the street (who were obviously foreigners like myself), so we asked them if they knew where it was.  They pointed us in the right direction, but then caught up with us to show us how to get there and to join us.  We got there and it was closed, on a Friday night!  I couldn't believe it, but I guess Friday night isn't a notoriously big 'out' night here.  The couple (Carl and Becky) told us there was another foreigner bar nearby called "Somewhere," so we headed that way.

We got there and they had Nore-bang (karaoke) going on and a nice small/local feel to it. My friend Justin met up with us and then someone pointed over at a drum set and said, 'they had people going up and playing last night, I guess they do it every Thursday.' I was like: "WHAT!?! This is that 'somewhere' that hosts open mic!?" It was crazy how I found it! So that night we didn't stay out too late, but we sung a couple Nore-bang songs and played some (free) pool. It was really great! I planned on going there to sing the following Thursday, but Eunji, Justin and myself were really tired and had big days on Friday, so we skipped it. I plan on going every Thursday from now on though!


Eunji and I at 'Somewhere!'


Me shooting pool.


Eunji.


I didn't get any real good pictures of Carl and Becky, but that's Carl on the left and Becky in the green.  Also this picture reminds me that you can smoke indoors here, which is very bazaar to me!


These Australian mates were very cool, and sure loved singing. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment