Sunday, September 11, 2011

First Week of Teaching!

This past Monday was my first actual day of teaching.  Thursday September 1st all of the students stayed with their homeroom teachers, aside from a whole school assembly (which I spoke at!)  Remember this is elementary school, so each class has their primary homeroom teacher, and then occasionally goes to elective type classes like PE, Music, English, etc.  So on Thursday I mostly just lesson planned, but in the morning I was expected to introduce myself at a faculty meeting in Korean, and then at the school assembly!  I'll write my speech here, but I don't remember it entirely.  Also it was slightly different for the students -vs- the faculty.

Anyung-haseyo! (Hello!)  Ryan inmida.  (My name is Ryan)  Mi-Gook eso waseyo.  (I am from America)  [I told the faculty I look forward to working with you, and the students I look forward to teaching you, but can't remember how that goes in Korean]  Gahm-se-ham-nida!  (Thank you!)

That was the gist of it, but I think I had an extra sentence or two in there.  I am learning more and more Korean every day, but I had my little speech written down, so I don't remember it all.  So that was the first day, the second day was at the Daegu World Championships, then Monday was my first day of teaching. 

I have 20 regular classes to teach, from grades 3-6, and two after school classes that will start in October.  Most are just once a week, except I see three 3rd grade classes on Monday, and again on Wednesday.  With that in mind I had one introductory lesson that I taught to all classes the first week, except for third grade, who I taught an actual lesson to on Wednesday. 

My introductory lesson went very well with all of my classes.  I tried my hardest to be friendly, but more strict than anything while explaining my rules, expectations, procedures and consequences.  Then we played a bingo game that used key words about myself, like 'history,' 'guitar,' 'University of Toledo,' etc.  Then I showed a power point about myself which the students really enjoyed (if you would like to see it feel free to email me at ryan.manary@rockets.utoledo.edu and I'd be happy to share!).  I then played a song on guitar (3 Little Birds by Bob Marley) and then did an interactive sing-a-long called "What's Your Name."  It went great!

I know this post was wordy, but I hope it gives you an idea of how I am getting along in my school!  I absolutely love my school and I'm told how handsome I am 6 times a day (by males, females, students, teachers, administration haha) so there is nothing not to like!  A lot of my friends get the same treatment, but it is very flattering :]

No comments:

Post a Comment