Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Staying In Korea For 2 Years!

I have made the decision to stay in Korea for 1 more year!  I really love the food, my school, my Taekwondo studio and the friends I've made here, so it is worth sticking around a little while longer.  I still want to teach in another country or two before coming back to the States, but I really like the idea of "what's the rush?"

I honestly can't wait to get back to my friends, family and pursuing my true passion of teaching Social Studies in an 'at risk' school, but what's the rush?  I can continue to gain valuable teaching experience, while seeing the world and enjoying myself.  I'm actually enjoying myself too much, as my schedule is literally BOOKED!  Hopefully doing a second year will allow me to spread out some of my activities and ambitions while I'm here.  In any case I have lots to blog about, but nearly no time to do it (especially without a laptop).  I will do my best to keep up with myself on here, but just remember: if ya never slow down, ya never get old!  Ahnyun-gaseyo!

4 comments:

  1. You must be thrilled that you're staying in Korea! Did your school extend your contract? How does that work if you want to stay there an extra year but you're only on a 1 year contract?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited! Well I have the option to renew my contract for another year, which I have agreed to do. That has to be approved by the MOE, then by the principle, vice-principal, head teacher and my co-teacher. I guess some people were surprised that they were denied a second year in the past.. so there is some standard. My co-teacher has assured me several times that I have nothing to worry about.. I guess they like me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lot. So many channels to get through. :( I hope you are able to continue on another year! :) So where do you plan on going after your second year in Korea? What made you choose this line of work? For me I love traveling and can't wait to begin teaching, I'm going to try to get a job in China once I get my B.Ed. Early Childhood Education from University of Toledo and then my TEFL Certificate. Did you need your degree apostilled to teach in Korea?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it sounds like a lot, but it shouldn't be too bad. My co-teacher has quite a bit of pull around here, and we get along very well. Next week I will have the principle and some other admins will observe one of my classes. If I get a bad review from anyone, I'm sure my CT would strongly recommend that they reconsider.

      I think I will go to Taiwan after Korea, but that is a bit down the road, and I tend to change my mind a lot, haha. I really just stumbled upon this line of work (TEFL). I just graduated last May to teach in the States, but learned about teaching in Korea last March at a job fair. I looked into it and loved the idea, so I came to teach for 1 year. Now I don't plan on moving home for 3-4 years! I strongly recommend that you give it a shot! China is awesome too I guess, but I decided against teaching there.

      I did have to get a copy of my diploma apostilled, along with my FBI background check, and a number of other documents. If you check the EPIK website ( http://www.epik.go.kr/ ) you can learn all about Korea's requirements and whatnot.

      You can search online and find teaching opportunities all over the world. TeachAway is another recruiter for teaching around the world. http://www.teachaway.com/

      Delete