Thursday, March 15, 2012

한굴 (Hanguel)

A little over  a month ago I went to Seoul and met my friend Maggie who speaks 6 languages fluently, and I decided to make a much bigger effort in learning the Korean language.  Since then I feel like I have made some progress, but it is still an overwhelming task.  I have been making the biggest effort at just reading the Korean on the signs and menus. I have known how to read it for a long time, I've just been very slow.  Now I am getting much quicker, and that helps me learn words that I read, especially when there is an English translation on an advertisement.


Here is a random Korean ad that I found online.  Her bag says: "syo-peeng-eul het-da! TOP po een-tuh-lo sat-da!"  The beginning says Shopping, which is always cool to recognize.  The rest is just jiberish to me because I don't know those words.  Sale is similar to shopping, because I've read that on a sign before.  There are actually quite a few words that are similar to English, just 'Konglisized.'

My vocabulary is growing and I can say more to Koreans now which is exciting, but listening to Koreans talk is tough.  I can usually only pick out a couple of words here and there, which is sometimes helpful.  The most useful words/phrases are:

Moo-lye-oh: I don't know.
Kin-chen-aye-oh: It's ok.
Kimchi do-juseo: More kimchi please!
Gaseyo: Let's go.
Go-ja: Go! (command)
Chew-aye-oh: It is cold.
Pi-hong-hey-oh: I am tired.
Hanguel-mai-lo autica mai-aye-oh ______: How do you say ______ in Korean?
Nanun Hanguel-mai-lo chogem hamnida:  I speak a little Korean.
Hwa-jong-shil: Bathroom/washroom.

Learning a language from scratch like this is very difficult because I don't have much of the fundamental vocabulary.  I am learning how to say things that are helpful, but I don't know basic things like apple, orange, or hands and feet.  That makes it hard to jump into a conversation and keep up with Koreans.  Because that is all memorization, I am focusing on practical things that will help me communicate.

Chick-chin: Straight
Orencho: Right
Wencho: Left
Joong: Middle

I also want to learn things that can be applied to the vocabulary that I already have.  Numbers are great to know, because I can point or make hand gestures, along with numbers to convey a lot of messages.  Also being able to say the negative version of a sentence is quite valuable.

Jo-why-oh: I like.
AN-jo-why-oh: I don't like.
Mota: To speak.
Mota-MA: Don't speak.

Learning a language in this way is much easier than studying for years out of a textbook, but it does not 'just happen' in a place like Korea.  I have way too many English speaking friends (and the internet) for it to rub off on me naturally.  I am learning now because I am making the effort.  The good thing is you can practice all of the time.  Many teachers in the school know I'm trying to learn the language so they will randomly tell me words and phrases.  

The worst part is forgetting words though.  I think that goes without saying, but often I will repeat new words over and over in my head, then the next day I'm like... how do you say "I'll be right back" again?  I can't remember!  It is really cool when the students are talking in Korean and I can understand them.  I will sometimes translate to English, and often they know the words, they just don't use them enough.  

I also just started going to a free Korean class last Thursday, and will have my second class this evening.  It is only 8 weeks/classes long, but it is free through the MOE, and I have lots of friends taking it with me.  I'm not sure how much I will gain, since it is only a total of 16 hours, but it is definitely better than nothing!  

The best part about learning a language in a foreign country is there is a bit of a snowball effect.  Once you get going enough to communicate, you will continue to learn more and more as you use what you know.  If I end up staying for a second year, I presume I will be pretty good at Korean by the time I leave.  That however is not a huge motivator for staying, because being fluent in Korean doesn't exactly matter on a resume.  There are two places it is spoken: South Korea and North Korea.  I am happy to be learning it though, because I feel like ignoring the language for a year is lazy, and the waste of a great opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment