Monday, March 26, 2012

Hiking My Mountain!

I hiked my mountain again, but this time with some of my Hogye friends.  This was actually two weekends ago, the day after the Moroccan restaurant.  My friend Julia started a Facebook group for all of us hikers here in Ulsan that is titled: "Foreigners CAN Hike!"  It is called that because most Koreans seem very surprised to see us 'way-gookens' hiking, especially if we make it to the summit of a mountain!  I don't understand why, but that is how the group got it's name.  We had our first official hike on my mountain, which was really fun, but unfortunately most of the people bailed.  It ended up being 4 people from the Hogye group (Julia, Iryna, Howard and Jenna) and myself, but it was still a lot of fun!


This is me telling Julia to hurry up! 


Crossing one of many rock bridges.  This is part of what where I hike daily with my co-teacher.

Howard and Jenna.


Howard, Iryna, me and Jenna at this temple.  We decided to take the trail towards this instead of to the top.  Most of these photos are Julia's, so she is not in any of them.


This is a cool dragon bell at the temple.



These little statues were left at a pagoda at the temple.  Notice the genie from Aladdin and the Lamp!


Then we came across 2 signs like this, warning of land mines!  Not exactly what you want to see when you're hiking in a foreign country.. but no worries, we didn't find any!

1 comment:

  1. I love the river and the stones in it. The scenery is pretty even if there are no leaves on the trees. I LOVE the dragon bell! My grandmother absolutley loves dragons. The land mines sign is scary. Your friends on the stone walll.. that's neat that you can sit on it.

    ReplyDelete