Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rock Band :)


I am happy to report that I have been asked to join a band recently, and open mics are going again!  I have been playing a lot of guitar lately and my friends Tom and Keenan from the US have asked me to join their band.  My two passions in life are teaching, and guitar, so I am indeed living the dream.  Tom plays rhythm guitar and sings, Keenan plays bass and sings.  I am lead guitar and backup vocals, and our friend Cait will buy a keyboard soon and join us with synth.  We are practicing every Tuesday, and just started doing open mics again at a different place than before, a foreigner bar called the Royal Anchor.  They have good equipment there, and a really nice owner Mr. Kim. 


This is Keenan.

Tom & Cait.

We don't have percussion right now (other than Cait on the tambourine), but there is a cool Korean drummer that is in another predominately foreigner band who is willing to play with us, at least for open mic.  We actually just had 1 practice and then 1 open mic performance, which I thought was shaky (understandably) but everyone said we sounded really good, so I feel like we are going to do pretty good together. 

I don't have huge expectations for the band right now, it's just to get better as a guitarist and have a great time with these guys.  It is possible though, that if we click well enough, I may stay a second year to continue playing with the band.  I have a lot of friends that will be here for a second year, I have one of the best locations, schools, and co-teachers, AND I absolutely love it here.  The only reason I don't want to stay is because I would like to maximize the number of countries and experiences I have while I'm abroad, but this could be the final reason to renew my contract.  Other perks are that I will get 2 weeks to come home between contracts, a signing bonus, a pay raise, and I am tax free for 2 whole years (since I am a US citizen). 

I was planning on Taiwan for a year, starting in September, but we will see what happens.  I have until May to make my decision (as far as my school is concerned), so I will just play it by ear.  In any case I am very excited about being in a band, rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment