Sunday, December 18, 2011

PINK Belt Test

Last week I took and passed my 3rd belt test, and this particular belt is pink!  Now I don't mind wearing pink sometimes, I actually have a pink dress shirt, but when it comes to Taekwondo.. I guess I would have picked a different color, haha.  The one high school student who is in my Taekwondo group is going to love this.  He (and almost all of the students in the group) is a black belt, so even when I had an orange belt he would walk up to me, point at it and say "cute."  Haha he is funny but I'm making it a little too easy for him this time.


This is the progression of belts.  I started out with white, and had to take a test for yellow, orange, and now pink.  I only have 5 more to go before I start preparing for the black belt test, which is a big deal, and it's only offered 2 times a year I think.  I will go to a big gymnasium somewhere else in the city for that test, and I will get a big plaque and certificate if I complete it.


Here is the test which like the others has 4 parts: the 'basic action,' pumsei 3, the kicking test and then board breaking.  I was pretty well prepared for this test, which is the most difficult so far (just since there is a lot to memorize) but I still had a little difficulty with it.  One of my biggest problems is I like to go too fast, so in the beginning you will see Master Lee telling me to slow down.  It's easier for me to just have it automated from muscle memory, than to go slow and think about each move.. so a little room to improve.  Also I messed up a little bit in the basic action, as you see me freeze for a second.  I had actually showed up early that day and got winded playing soccer before hand, then had quite an intense session.  I think I'm in pretty good shape right now and I was just whooped!  Then it came time for the test and it was hard to gather my concentration, but luckily I pulled it off.  There is another part of the basic action you will see me do twice, I'm not sure why Master Lee told me to do it again, I showed him the video after and pointed it out but I didn't get an answer.  Also I sometimes I forget to 'cry' out (haaiii!) when I kick, which I need to make sure I do.  The last comment I will make about the test is kicking the 3 boards at the end HURT SO BAD!  Like, wow.  You can see my reaction, almost hopping around a bit.  I made the most contact with my toe knuckles, instead of the top, middle part of my foot.  Anyways all of that was worth it, as I make my way closer to the goal of black belt!


Master Lee and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment