Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dinner at UNIST

This past Saturday night I visited my Engineer friends at their Technical Institution UNIST.  I made friends with these guys a couple months ago, and see them every 1-3 weeks on Friday nights.  The group consists of 2 Indian fellows, 2 Pakistani fellows and 1 Vietnamese guy.  One of the Indian guys, Sai, is the one I talk to the most on instant messenger, and we have become quite good friends.

I haven't had real authentic Indian food yet, and there is a very popular Indian restaurant her in Ulsan called Namascar.  Sai had his 30th birthday last week and we talked about going there for dinner to celebrate.  He said that if I came out to UNIST (which is quite far for me on two buses) that they would cook me some food way better than the restaurant.  I thought that was a great idea, so I agreed. 

I mentioned that I was planning on going to my good friend Connie who has met these guys, and she wondered if she could come along.  I loved the idea because she's good company, and because then I would have a traveling companion out to UNIST!  Of course Sai didn't mind and we planned on going together after visiting our friend Julia in the hospital.  She has Pneumonia, but is getting better.


Here is Julia!  The next day (Sunday) we had a little pizza party with her, Connie, Howard and I. 



 Here is Connie on the bus!  If I had gone from my apartment the first bus would have been about 45 minutes, but from their neighborhood it was about an hour.  The second bus was about a half an hour to UNIST.  That girl next to her doesn't look too happy, but Connie does! lol


Here I am having more fun than usual on the city bus haha


Here is a really cool fountain on UNIST's campus.  We had to wait for our friends to come get us so Connie and I hung out around this for a bit.  Of course we had to run through it when the water wasn't spraying.  Connie ALMOST got soaked.


 

This is in the kitchen at UNIST.  The kitchen was pretty big and had 12 burners.  I only have one at my apartment, oh too bad they don't live closer.  Well anyways this is Dong from Vietnam, and he is a fantastic guitar player.  I've really switched over to acoustic over the last year, and his roommate had one so we had a nice jam session while waiting for the food to be ready!

On the left here is Rao from Pakistan, one of the funniest guys in the group.  In the middle is Sai from India, one of my best friends here, and then Connie.


Bon somtey (sp?) is cheers in French, which Connie just taught me.  We brought rice wine to share since they had never tried it before.  The rest is pretty self explanatory!

We ended up having a great dinner but it was not Indian food.  There were 2 main dishes, one which was Pakistani was chicken and some kind of sauce.  The other was a random mix of Mexican and Italian styles, which was interesting, but delicious!  They also made homemade pitas to scoop the food up with.  I still need to have some real Indian food soon, but it was really nice none the less.  We learned a bit about their cultures, and then went out and had a fun night together!

No comments:

Post a Comment