Sunday, October 16, 2011

Korean and Honguel

I have been learning some Korean and I'm getting better at reading Honguel, the alphabet system here in Korea.  I would like to get much better at both, so I am going to start studying on this website: http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/ 

So far my co-teacher Mr. Park teaches me some things, but it is still very foreign to me.  Here are some of the words and phrases that I have learned!

Basic:

ahnyung-haseo = Hello
ahnyung-ge-seo = goodbye (if you are leaving)
ahnyung-ah-seo = goodbye (if other person is leaving)
go-eye-o = I like (this or that)
gham-sa-ham-nida = thank you
yeh (or neh) = yes (or ok)
annio = no
sun-seng-nim = teacher
yo-gee-yo = here (say it at restaurant to waiters, where to stop for cab drivers)

Family:

apa = dad
uma = mom
abogee = father
o-mon-ee = mother
har-abogee = grandfather
har-mon-ee = grandmother
emo = aunt (on mother's side)
goma = aunt (on father's side)
sam-chun = uncle (on father's side)
wa-sam-chun = uncle (on mother's side)
luna = older sister (if you're a female)

There are lots of different words for brother and sister based on gender and age.. and I don't remember many of them!

Numbers:

yung = zero
il = one
ee = two
sam = three
sa = four
o(h) = five
yuk = six
chil = seven
pal (or par) = eight
gu = nine
sip (or ship) = ten

sip-il = eleven
sip-ee= twelve
etc.

ee-sip = 20
ee-sip-il = 21
etc.

Also there are 'primary' numbers that are often used.  When counting off at Taekwondo for stretches we use these.  It's still confusing when to use these versus the previous numbers.

hannah = first (1)
dual = second (2)
set = third (3)
net = fourth (4)
da-sut = fifth (5)
yah-sut = sixth (6)
ilgo = seventh (7)
yo-dur = eighth (8)
aho = ninth (9)
yuell = tenth (10)

Hanguel:

Vowels:  ㅜ ㅠ ㅗ ㅍ ㅏ ㅑ ㅓ ㅕ ㅐㅔ ㅣ ㅡ ㅇ

Consenants: ㅂ ㅈ ㄷ ㄱ ㅅ ㅁ ㄴ ㄹ ㅎ ㅋ ㅌ ㅊ

I am not an expert on Hanguel yet, but if you are interested you should check out the link at the beginning of this post, and watch the Hanguel lessons (part 1 & 2). 

No comments:

Post a Comment