Friday, May 18, 2012

Teacher's Day :D

I just had my first Teacher's Day this week, and it was really nice!  It may be one of the least celebrated holidays ever, but the students in South Korea definitely made me feel special on this day.  As I walked up to the school I was greeted by two whole classes of excited students ready to say "Ryan Teacher!  Happy Teacher's Day!"  They crowded around me (as one student pinned a paper made Carnation on my shirt) and talked to me using their beginner level conversational English.


After I made it to my classroom I noticed hundreds of students passing by my room towards the gymnasium.  When Mr. Park arrived I asked him if there was an assembly for Teacher's Day.  He said no, there will be a ceremony with all of the students in the gym, to which I said, ahhh, yeah we call that an assembly (lol).  Mr. Park is actually my best student!  Almost every time he learns something new from me, I notice him using it the next time or two that I see him (if only all of my students did that!)  So I made sure that I wasn't expected to speak at this ceremony (they sneak things like that up on you here), and proceeded to the gymnasium.  It really is impressive how they can keep 400 students all in perfect order, standing in an open area.  (This is when I realized that they use commands similar to those seen in military movies.  They have different ways to stand and, in a sense, salute.)  I'm going to remember that, however I'm not sure that will work out super well in American high schools..  At this ceremony a choir of students sang the "Teacher's Day song" and then all of the students sang Yangjung Elementary's Alma Matter which was very nice.  Several students went around giving the teachers real Carnations, and I actually received mine from a 6th grade boy that was imitating me in the "I'm Yours" video.  I guess I forgive him now :P


After the ceremony we had about 20 minutes to relax, and then got our 2nd period class.  At the beginning of that class a little boy by the name of 김병짐 (Kim Byong Jeem) brought Mr. Park and I each a gift bag that had candies in it.  This boy is one of my favorite students, because he doesn't know much English, but he tries extremely hard.  We have an after school class four days a week (I only teach three of them), and he always comes early to study for at least an hour before class.  One day Mr. Park and I were leaving school to go for a walk, and the boy's mother stopped us to talk for a minute.  She really just talked to Mr. Park, but was so happy and thankful because 병 짐 had never showed interest in English before, but now studies on his own all the time.  So I'm pretty sure she sent him in with the gift bag, which was so nice of her!



The rice cake assortment (and Mr. Jung).

The final treat for Teacher's Day came at lunch.  All of the students pitched in to buy the teachers a beautifully displayed rice cake.  It was actually many little rice cakes dressed up to look like one large cake.  It was very delicious, and I was even given a couple wrapped ones to take with me (that I just enjoyed while writing this).  As a teacher it looks like I'll have plenty more days like this in my career, but I think this one will be the most memorable!

1 comment:

  1. The rice cakes look yummy. The flower's also pretty. I agree with you on the Korean method of getting their students to attention probably wouldn't go over well here in America. It seems like your students really appreciate you and that's a good thing to have students who want to learn and appreciate their teachers. Shame that teachers are not as appreciated in America as they are in other countries.

    ReplyDelete