Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Irene :)

So I am pleased to share the news that I have recently met a wonderful woman, Irene.  We met about six weeks ago, and she agreed to be my girlfriend almost a month ago now!  I have been here for about 8 1/2 months, and I have finally found the one Korean girl that.. they broke the mold to make.  She has traveled all around South East Asia, has lived in Australia for 2 1/2 years (during three different trips), and is interested in seeing the rest of the world like I am.


This is Irene!


This is some delicious food she made for me.  It is really cool that we both like to cook (well.. she likes to cook for me at least lol), because we treat each other all the time!

 I think it is important to tell all about Irene Gang, or Gang Soon Mi (강순미) because in the month and a half I have known her, I have been able to experience Korea in such a different light!  I have been comfortable here, but I really have been interacting like a foreigner.  When I am with her I really act, shop and eat out like a Korean!   In Korea I sort of feel like an American ambassador so it is hard to be myself in public, especially because of the language barrier.  I guess I didn't realize how I was acting differently until now.. and it is hard to explain.  I think I am OVERLY friendly here, and I use caution when saying that, because my personality is to be friendly.  Being overly friendly is.. maybe annoying?  (haha)  I'm not sure how to really explain it, but how I've been interacting wouldn't seem normal if I was in America, and it wouldn't be normal if a Korean was doing it here.  It is very normal and acceptable as a foreigner, but now that I am dating a Korean girl, I feel much more like a local.  It is really nice (and different).




This is an example of acting oneself at a store!  I would do silly stuff like this in America, but not in Korea.  


Here is a combination of a delicious meal Irene made for me and a bit of her funny side :)

We have done lots of neat things together so far, including seeing a movie, going on the giant ferris wheel downtown, going out with my friends, having a picnic with some of her family, and so on.  She has met my parents a few times on Skype now, and is getting along great with all of my friends here.  One obstacle is that she lives in Daegu, about an hour and a half bus ride from Ulsan, but we visit at least once per week.  She is really helping me with my Korean language studying, and I am helping her with her English (which is already really good in my opinion, and of course not so good in her opinion).  I am also teaching her guitar, and she is a great student!  She already bought a guitar and practices at least an hour each day.  I am very happy to have met her, and I hope that things continue to go well!



This is at her sisters house.  I had a holiday a couple weeks ago (National Election Day) so I visited her in Daegu.  We had a great BBQ with her two sisters, her two nieces, and her brother in law!


Here is a picture of Irene and I :D

2 comments:

  1. Irene is beautiful. :) I hope everything works out for you and her! The orange eye picture is funny.

    ReplyDelete