Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hyundai Strike

Since I have been here I have witnessed about 3 or 4 strikes outside the huge Hyundai Motor Company factory that is right across the street from my apartment.  They are always packed full of like-dressed workers that are upset about something (it is hard for me to know what it's about.. but I have asked Mr. Park about them before, and he says they happen all of the time over wages and different things), and they always blow over fairly quickly.  The other day there was quite an elaborate strike with a stage set up, so I went back by once it got a little later to see what it was for.



During the day time it was mostly angry shouting and chanting, but there was a woman singing when I took the video.

There ended up being a whole band playing for this strike, right on Hyundai's doorstep!  It was pretty cool, and made me pretty proud of the Korean people.  If nobody ever stood up to the mega-corporations, they would definitely take advantage of the workers.  So I'm happy to report that these strikes are as frequent as need be, peaceful, and keeping the balance between the worker and employer in my neighborhood :)



This band sounded pretty cool too, but since I couldn't understand the lyrics I only watched for about 5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. It is good that the Korean people are standing up for their rights in these strikes. Everyone deserves to not be treated like slaves and get fair wages and safe and sanitary working conditions.

    ReplyDelete