Friday, April 13, 2012

The Band.

My band is coming along really nicely, and hopefully I can share some footage of us playing soon.  We have a drummer named Nick Kotel that has been playing with us at open mic, and will probably commit to joining officially.  We always practice on Tuesdays at Keenan's place, and play early at open mic so it is essentially a practice and then a performance.  This past week we started practicing at the place that hosts open mic, which is 100X better for progressing.  We were just asked by the owner of the open mic bar Royal Anchor if we'd be interested in learning some Western songs that are popular to Koreans for a festival next month, and of course we agreed!  We will be playing things like Jason Mraz "I'm Yours," and some Beatles tunes among others.  It should be a really big festival that will get us really started which is exciting!  Also we realized we had to finally come up with a name (we've been kicking around a couple ideas).. and we have chosen one.  It is ridiculous, and hilarious to us.. we are: 'Stache Potatoes.  I don't know if everyone will like it, but we're a rock band, so we don't care :)


Here are some logo sketches to help you understand the silly name, haha.  We went through hundreds of band name ideas, and finally I spit out "..'stached potatoes?"  ..we couldn't stop laughing, and decided that we couldn't beat it, so we are 'Stache Potatoes.



Here is us having a mini practice while us and some other friends were over at Keenan's place.  That's actually Tom holding Keenan's bass.  



This is us playing last week.  I am in my shirt and tie from school headbanging on the left.  That is Nick behind the drum set.

I must say being in a band is one of the coolest things ever to me, and I'm so happy I am finally rocking out properly :)  It sure is a lot of work, but it is one of the many things helping me enjoy the heck out of Korea!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you can keep doing something you live in Korea when you're not teaching. At first I couldn't figure out the reason behind the name but then I saw the drawings and understood it. That's hilarious and original (mean that in a good way).

    ReplyDelete