Thursday, February 16, 2012

Half Way Through!

I am officially half way through my contract, and in some ways it feels like it has gone by fast, and in others I feel like I've been here a good long while now.  Either way I am still very happy here with my school, my apartment, my friends, my Taekwondo and with everything!

I haven't posted since my vacation, because I feel like nothing 'eventful' is happening, but I guess there is lot going on.  I have been 'desk-warming' for about a week and a half, which means I am at my desk with no classes.  Most people in my position complain and are bored out of their minds, but I feel like I still don't have enough time on my hands!  I have been doing several school related things, and several personal things that I just haven't had time for.

School wise I have been doing an online 'in-service' program that I will most likely finish tomorrow.  It is really easy, and is geared at Guest English Teachers (GETs) that only have a 4 year degree.  Since I am a certified teacher, it is all material that was covered thoroughly in college, so this is a little bit boring I guess.  I also just found out that I will have a mini-English camp with Eunji next week, which will be fun.  I like the camp since I have a lot more freedom to teach what I want, and not exactly what the textbook says.  Eunji and I have planned out most of that this week, but will finish up tomorrow.

What is great about my job, is playing guitar is 100% legitimate work, since I have had such success and approval with my songs in class thus far.  Since there is a lot of extra time, I have been preparing for the songs I will do in the next couple of months.  The songs will be ______, _______, ______ and ______.   (haha, they're a secret!)

What's great about that though, is I can practice songs and techniques for my own personal interest as well.  My friend Howard just got a guitar, and I am going to help him learn.  We have only had one jam session so far, he is learning real quickly, and wants to be able to play 45 by Shinedown, so I am also trying to learn that song.

It also looks like I will be going on a short vacation (the 3rd one!) in a little over a week to Japan!  Because of this I have decided to brush up on my Japanese history (took that course a couple years ago), and plan my trip.  While my friends are sitting around watching TV shows and wasting away on Facebook, I have been doing things like this.  I still have a list a mile long of things I would like to get to, that I won't, even with all of this 'free' time at my desk!  Next week however, I will get done with the camp at 12:20 and be allowed to go home early.  I wanted to spend that time focusing on guitar, but I'll probably split my time with my list, and a little bit of laziness :)

Today my 6th graders graduated, and I was honestly sad to see some of them go.  I mean I will miss all of my students when I leave, but 6th grade is the hardest to connect with.  They are the ones I have to be most strict with, and they are more concerned about their peers' approval, as opposed to the younger grades who really stride for the teacher's approval.  I will continue to see several of my 6th graders at Taekwondo, but some will be long gone which is too bad.


Here is the graduation ceremony.  You can see the girl on the stage bowing to the principle before receiving her certificate.


This is one of the former English teachers and I at the ceremony.  She is one of the 3rd grade teachers, and we all go out to lunch sometimes (we did today actually).  Since she can speak pretty good English we chat quite a bit.



Some of the 6th graders performed this song as well, so I got a little bit closer to record it.  (Also the boy at the end standing next to me is too funny!)


Also Taekwondo is still going great!  I will take my purple belt test (I know, really 'manly' colors) next week.  Tonight I spoke with Master Lee about the black belt test, which is only offered twice a year.  The only test that I can make between now and August will be in June, so I have to keep right on track; 1 belt per month to accomplish that goal.  I will have to get my blue belt in March, my brown belt in April, my red belt in May, and then the black belt test will be in June.  I think I will be able to do it, however I had thought there was a month or two of breathing room, while in fact there is not.  Also the test will be in a pretty large gym/arena, and I will be performing the poomses with a group of other students, likely children.  I now know poomses 1-5, and by then I will know all 8.  For the test, they will call out random poomse numbers (3!  then 7! etc.) so I will have to be very prepared.  There is also a sparring portion, where I will have to do a number on somebody ;)


Free ice-cream surprise the other day!


I missed myself here, but this kid is awesome!  He is a middle schooler, and one of the best ones there.  He doesn't speak much English, but always walks in and says "HEEELLLOOOOOOOO" in such a funny voice, I'll try to get it on video sometime haha


I'd also like to thank everyone for the kind birthday wishes, and especially my Grandma Manary who sent me this amazing/singing/vibrating card in the mail!



So all is well for Ryan Teacher right now, I am looking forward to a brief visit to Japan which I'm sure I will have lots of footage of.  I am also looking more and more into my options for next year, and it is looking a lot like I'll be heading to Taiwan (I hear the food is great!  ..and there are some other reasons too..)

Anyways, that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment